As part of extensive refurbishment works completed in 2018, Lambstongue were appointed to carry out timber conservation works on this exceptional example of a Tudor revival manor.
The building is a calendar house featuring 365 windows and 52 chimneys, among some other design characteristics. Along the top of the building an extract of psalm 127:1 is made from carved stone: "Except the Lord build the house, then labour is but lost that built it".
The initial architectural plans for the house were made by James and George Richard Pain. The client, the 2nd Earl of Dunraven, dispensed with their services, however, around 1838, and Lord Dunraven continued with the design of the house himself with help from English architect Lewis Nockalls Cottingham. Augustus Pugin was hired in 1846 to design some of the interior features, including the Great Hall. The three-storey southern range and the tower with pyramidal roof, completed by the third Earl of Dunraven between 1850 and 1862, were built to the designs of Phillip Charles Hardwick.
Acting as project director for Lambstongue and working with main contractors John Paul Construction, and conservation architects Consarc, Ken oversaw the conservation of 172 timber sash and casement windows, including complex oak shutter assemblies, 14 steel framed windows and 7 original bronze windows. In addition, we fabricated large sections of replacement hand-carved linen-fold oak wall panelling and a replica carved oak organ assembly based on an original design. The contract also required the fabrication and installation of 142 new bronze framed windows. Existing lead pattern glass panels were conserved inhouse and re-glazed into the bronze frames by Lambstongue.